I’ve solved my problems… Well, there are still green clouds…
But I’ve solved everything else! My issues were typical to myself, a PEBKAC.
For one I had somehow managed to have the line:
to the file that the at command uses to determine when to start recording, so naturally I got some great noise recorded right as the satellite disappeared below the horizon.
The second issue was me glancing at the manual for the CLI version of wxtoimg and assuming its what I think it was. I saw -N and -S and assumed they were ‘satellite is approaching from this direction’ whereas they turned out to be ‘Northbound’ and ‘Southbound’ respectively, so I was rendering all my images backwards, it just so happened that some times the program managed to get the upside down images aligned.
So now everything is working very well, very good decodes at almost all elevations (starts to get sketchy at around ~30 degrees), and I’ve added the NO enhancement to my line of HVCT (false colour) and ZA/MCIR (greyscale). NO provides some better false colour enhancement of cloud temperatures so you can make out height a bit better.
All the files I wrote are available for linux/raspberry pi at https://github.com/va7eex/Pi_WXRX, get_tle.py should be executed at least daily as a cron job, everything else is executed by typing: ‘bash sats.sh NOAA-##’ You should also create the folders ‘sat_schedules’ and ‘sat_output’ in your home directory.