Tag Archives: DIY

NOAA Satellites Pt 1


Mind the cable.

Haven’t made a post in a while, thought I’d do something about that.

So I’ve recently got back into dabbling with NOAA satellites, to that end I’ve setup a test antenna in my bedroom. Initially I was running a Cat5 network cable to it since I wanted to stream I/Q data to my PC and decode there, but it made having to leave my room a bit of a chore so away went that plan. The new plan is to perform everything locally on the Pi itself.

Continue reading

Upgrading my PiAware Pt. 2

Its up!

Its up!

One done, one to go.

One done, one to go.

So after a week of rain, then realizing I had the wrong sized mounting brackets. My ADSB co-linear is back in the air. I’ve moved it about two meters along the side of the roof to the other side of the HF antenna to facilitate hooking up to the new lightning arrestor.

I’ve updated to Dump1090-Mutability over the normal Dump1090 supplied with the standard PiAware image as well.

In the theme of things in short supply, I’ve now run out of F-type compression connectors to plug my AIS antenna into the lightning arrestor 🙁

Upgrading my PiAware


PiAware Box 1.0

So the PiAware I operate has a problem: It isn’t uploading data! But in a weird way, it is. The receiver can still be accessed via port 30003 (Basestation format), this is the data stream that I scrape to operate the “Airplanes Nearby” widget to the right of this article. Normally this problem would require me to log into SSH and reboot it or go and unplug it. But this time its different, because while it is uploading data, SSH is inoperable and physically power cycling the device does not alter its behaviour. As you can see from the image, my housing isn’t very maintenance-friendly. So its time to upgrade.

Continue reading